A baking stone is a flat cooking surface used in baking. They may be made of ceramic, stone, or more recently, salt. Food is put on the baking stone, which is then placed in the oven, though sometimes the stone is heated first. Baking stones are used much like cookie sheets, but may absorb additional moisture for crispier food. Due to the thermal properties of the stone used, food is less likely to burn when using a baking stone than when using a cookie sheet.
Baking stones are a variation on hot stone cooking which is one of the oldest cooking techniques known.
When used for cooking pizza, a (usually rounded) baking stone is called a pizza stone.
PETRUSO Baking Stones are produced in Poland from polish refractory clays, they are not simple stoneware! They will retain more heat, darken and season with use enriching their cooking properties. Just like wine – the older, the better.
Designed for both gas and electric ovens or an enclosed barbecue-style grill.
Our product set includes a Baking Stone (dia 33 cm, 2.5 cm thick) made of 100% natural clay fired at over 2,000°F, wooden baking peel and a manual with easy to follow baking instructions and other informations on our product.
PETRUSO Baking Stone can be used for making delicious, authentic brick oven pizza and more. Try to make cookies, breads, biscuits, tortillas or bagels. Use it for endless baking with authentic Italian taste. Also ideal for warming up frozen or purchased pizza’s. You can always enjoy hot, fresh baked food.
Traditional bread and pizza pans can’t produce the same kiln-fired crustiness that our pizza stone can. Durable and long lasting, you’ll love the results that our pizza stone will produce!
How to use PETRUSO Baking Stone?
- Simply place a Baking Stone in your oven on the lowest oven shelf, pre-heat at maximum temperature for approx. 30 minutes
- Shape dough on top of pizza peel, dusted first with cornmeal to aid sliding pizza off onto stone
- Top pizza with toppings (tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, ham mushrooms, olives etc.)
- Slide pizza on hot stone with peel using quick, jerking motions
- Bake approx. 7 – 10 minutes
- Use peel to remove pizza from oven when crust is browned and crispy
- Don’t wash the stone, simply scrape, brush and wipe off with a dry cloth
Hints and tips
You’ll find a multitude of uses for your PETRUSO Baking Stone. Please try out some of the following examples:
- Bake your own, original home-made pizza. It will cost you much less than you can imagine
- Great for baking bread, biscuits, rolls, cookies or garlic bread
- Ideal for heating up frozen foods such as French fries or chicken nuggets
- Heat up frozen pizza – you will not recognize the taste
- Very useful for warming up purchased pizza’s – will taste better than original
Care of your baking stone
Follow the below mentioned:
- Scrape, brush and wipe clean
- Handle stone carefully, even though it is very durable
- Use pot holders or barbecue mitts when handling hot stone
- Don`t wash the stone in detergents (the taste of detergent will get into the stone!)
- Don`t drop the stone, it might chip or break
- Don`t touch the hot stone with your bare hands, it will result in severe burns